Week One: Introductions

 Hello everyone!

My name is Carson Maschmeier and I'm a first semester graduate student, focusing on Public History. I have a few research interests and public history projects that I'm looking into working on including a civil war diary that has yet to be researched and explored. I spent a year working with the Veterans History Project under Dr. Gannon and Dr. French as a lead interviewer, sparking my great interest in veterans affairs and war history. 

During my time in the Veterans History Project, I was able to work closely with veterans and learn how to compose storyboards and begin working with mapping technologies. These tools were crucial to my work, as the interview was only one step in the direction of historical preservation. Taking the information I learnt in the interview and digitalizing it made me realize how special history can be once it's given a visual perspective and guide, placing emphasis on history as a living, breathing subject. That being said, I'm super excited to continue my work and learn more about the work of digitalizing history and the field's changing nature. 

In terms of my skill set, I've discussed storyboarding and map questing and how I've been able to use that, but I'm also considering branching out and getting a GIS certificate as I believe it would further my research interests. By understanding maps and continuing to learn in my skill set, I believe my knowledge and appreciation for military history and veteran conservation will only be inspired.

 

I'm super excited for this semester! It's going to be a fun one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 14: Reflections on the History Harvest: Democratizing the Past Through the Digitization Of Community History

Week 10: Focus on Digital Methods @ UCF's Florida Historical Society Symposium

Week 11: Interactive Visualization: Insight Through Inquiry / Bill Ferster's ASSERT Model